Monday, July 9, 2012

An hour of TORTURE

My daughter and I decided to sign up for a 16 day Boot Camp challenge for the summer. We both been struggling to find some motivation to get in shape. So when I got the email for it, we agreed to do it. It seemed like a fun and great idea. It only cost $67 dollars for one person or two. I thought that was a steal! You get an 1hr for 3 days a week. Plus they email you a meal plan to guide you.

As the days got closer I started to dread the idea of going to Boot Camp. I was so tempted to back out. I tried to talk my daughter out of it, that was a no go with her. Since she is really excited about going and loosing some weight. Don't get me wrong, I would love to loose the weight. I just didn't want to work at it. If only you could loose the weight without having to do physical work. Sunday came before Boot Camp day and my thought was to eat everything and anything I wanted. Since I was going to commit to the meal plan and exercise. That didn't go as planned. I woke up late Sunday and made breakfast. Didn't eat  lunch since I wan't hungry. Instead we had fruit, which is fine. Took my son and youngest daughter to practice some soccer drills. Mind you, I don't play soccer. So my son need me to kick the ball to him since he wanted to practice being goalie. Turns out I have some good soccer kicking moves. Who knew? We spent about an hour and half doing that. By the time I got home my thighs felt like they were on FIRE. Wow! I'm really out of shape. Dinner time came, I ended up having a yummy Blue Cheeseburger with Sweet Potato Fries and a lemonade. After that, I couldn't think about eating anything. Even though I was DYING! DYING to have some ice cream, I didn't. I was just to stuffed.

So Monday comes and I'm making all these excuses to myself as to why I can't go. I have a headache, which I kind of did. The headache was due to lack of sleep, since I decided to stay up and read till 4AM. So I popped 2 Excedrin for Migraines. Which seemed to work. Then my second excuse was that I needed tennis shoes. Which I actually did. Since my old pair are coming apart. Which means I have to get up and go buy my shoes asap. Then my third excuse is that I shouldn't spend the money on this and I should just do it on my own. Which I know that is a load of Bull Poop. My daughter pleas and begs for me not to chicken out and that's when I realize I will let her down. So I muster all the strength and courage I have and go to Boot Camp.

We get there and I'm nervous as hell. All these different scenarios are running through my head. The show Biggest Loser comes to mind. I picture my instructor being like Jillian and yelling at me. Then my thoughts go to, I'm going to cry and lose it. Fifteens minutes in and I will probably be in the fetal position crying my eyes out. Then I think, no that won't happen, I will just pass out from the actual exercise. My biggest fear was that I was going to be the only over weight person at Boot Camp. That everyone else was going to be a skinny Minnie. It turns out there was only one skinny Minnie, which was okay. The rest of the ladies were like me. They weren't extremely over weight, just trying to loose some weight and get toned. I felt so much better.

The instructor starts off with some stretches. In my mind, I was thinking okay, I can do this. Then we moved on to some squats, lunges and some other form of leg torture. OMG! I have never felt so much pain in my life! I swear I am not kidding, my legs felt like Jell-O at that point. The instructor had us do some simple jumping jacks and I could barely do them. I felt like a marionette puppet! Who was pulling the strings for my legs to kick? Ummm, no one! I could barely kick my legs. Not only that but I was sweating like a sinner in church. Who sweats that much? No to mention that I hate sweating! I was ready to give up. I turned to my daughter and told her lets go home. She looked at me and said "We can do this, mom. Just hanging in there." Was she crazy? I'm thinking yes! I could barely feel my legs. Honestly, after that I don't remember much. All I know is that I was sweating, in pain and felt faint. At one point I was having a mental conversation with myself. It went something like this. "Well Molly, we wouldn't be at Boot Camp.. if you would just exercise more often. Or if you would just cut the ice cream to just once a month. But no, you decided to indulge. So now here we are sweating like a pig and in pain. Next time better think twice before you serve yourself that bowl of of ice cream. Other wise we wouldn't be here." Yes! I actually had that conversation with myself. I think it was the pain talking to me. I was exercising next to this really nice lady and she saw my struggle. So she kept looking back and telling me to "Hang in there Molly" or "Almost done, you can do it." I swear if it wasn't for her I don't know if I would have been able to continue.

10 minutes left for the Boot Camp to be over and my freaking endorphins decide to kick in. Really? Are you serious? Late to the party, endorphins! I turned to my daughter and she was looking very pale. I was worried about her but she trooped along to the finish. 8pm hasn't looked so sweeter than today. Class was officially over, thank heavens. So as I'm gathering my stuff the instructor tells us that he needs to weigh us. I looked at him as if he just grew two heads. He wasn't kidding, he was serious. Not only that, in front of everyone. Mind you he didn't say our weights out loud. That wouldn't have gone well with me or some of the ladies. I told him that this weigh in felt like a Biggest Loser reenactment. He just looked at me and said "No, Biggest Losers here." That was so sweet. It turns out my weight wasn't that bad. So my start weight is 136.8 lbs. mind you I'm 5 feet even. So for me that weight is not good for my height. I know I'm not going to be model thin. I just want to be healthy, toned and little slim.

I go back on Wednesday and we'll see how that goes. Tomorrow, I'm suppose to do some kind of cardio on my own. Not sure what I will do. Maybe go jogging or do the stationary bike for 45 minutes. The important thing is that I survived. Barely, but survived. Any feed back would be much appreciated. I'm open to suggestions as to what I can do to lessen the pain of Boot Camp. 


Ciao, Molly

I will be brave and post my before Boot Camp picture. I will post the after on my last day of Torture Camp. : )

1 comment:

  1. Go Molly, Go Molly, go! You'll see it will get easier and easier for you as the days go on. Make sure you are drinking lots of fluids and that you have some protein before and after your workout.

    ReplyDelete