Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kindle & Nook Color vs DVR...Dilemma

                                       Hubby bought me a Kindle sometime 2 years ago. I was excited to get it, but my heart was in a Nook Color or an IPad. So 3rd choice was okay at the moment. The Kindle was great, I downloaded some free books and bought some. Though I was bummed that it was black & white. I'm a color type of gal. I love seeing the colors in the front jackets of books. It's what draws me to a book sometimes. So I made do with the Kindle, though my reading was pretty stale. I would read on & off nothing major. So for mother's day I got a Nook Color shortly after getting a Kindle. (I know it sounds so spoiled.) Actually, I pouted and complained that I wanted a Nook Color. (Don't judge) So once I got my Nook Color, I was thrilled. I loved the bright color and all the neat features it had. I could listen to music while reading. Share quotes from the book I was reading to Twitter or Facebook. I could search the web, though sometimes it stalled. So once I got my Nook Color I was using it for web searches, like an IPad. Shameless!! After all that shameless web searching I decided to actually read some books in my Nook Color. Ever since then, I forgot about web searching and read more.

                                     So what did I do with my lonely forgotten Kindle? I ended up giving it to my mom. She was pretty happy to have it. She went on a downloading spree of Spanish E books. Some books that she read during her teenage years. Seeing her get so happy about books she loved made me happy. The thought of my unwanted Kindle getting some love made me feel good. That's how I parted ways with my Kindle. My Nook Color became my bestie. I would read and open up the Pandora app on my Nook. I really loved that, especially if a great song came on and tied really well with the book I was reading. Made the book even more enticing. Not only did I buy books on my Nook but I finally figured out how to borrow from my local public library. Which is awesome! Sometimes the waiting list is a bit long, but it moves fairly quickly. I guess it depends on the book you want to read.

                                            Now that I have some what mastered my Nook Color and become comfortable with my device. Barnes & Noble and Amazon decide to throw a monkey wrench in my indecisiveness nature they both come out with a tablet E Reader, Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet. I was pretty annoyed that they did this, but that's technology for you. All ways on the move. I told Hubby that I wanted a Kindle Fire he looked at me as if I had grown 3 heads and said "Didn't you have a Kindle?". So with that said , I told him that this one is in color which I love. Plus you can watch movies and do more with it. Then he said "Well your Nook Color is in umm...ummm...COLOR? Right?" Ugh no winning with that man. Then Barnes comes out with the Nook Tablet and I showed him the specs. He again gave me the crazy eyes. So this time I tried to sway him in getting me this device instead. By pointing out that I could easily transfer my book library to this new one and wouldn't loose a thing. Then he asked "Well what are you going to do with your old Nook?" I told him that I would pass it on to one of our kids. He didn't seem to accept that answer, since he just ignored me. So I left the quest for a new E Reader alone. Hmmmph! Luckily for me, Barnes & Noble did a program upgrade for the Nook Color. I did my upgrade not thinking much of it. Turns out that my upgrade lets me watch movies like a tablet. I may experience a bit of a delay but at least I have that option now. So now I have no excuse for wanting a Nook Tablet. With that said I have yet to watch a movie on my Nook Color since I've been reading more on it. I do however want a Kindle again. The only reason though is because sometimes Barnes doesn't have certain books that Amazon has, or vice-verse. Which is very irritating, might I add. We have an IPad but it's the 1st generation and the kids have taken it. So if I read a book from the Kindle app, the IPad is FOREVER in use by kids or hubby. So this is the reason I need a Kindle. At least that's what I'm telling myself and the hubby.

                                              So many dilemma's, let's add one more to the mix. Since I have rediscovered my love for reading. I have put my DVR in the back burner. That being said I have so many shows waiting to be viewed and haven't had time to view them. I love watching TV as much as I love reading. Welp! My DVR has been telling me that you only 2hrs, 5hrs or 12hrs left of recording space. Oh Lawd!! What to do? So I have been deleting stuff without even watching it. It makes me crazy, thinking that I may have missed something fun. I had to choose TV instead of reading. I watched Suits on USA channel, I had 2 episodes on my DVR. I had to watch it since I only had about 5hrs of space for recording. Not to mention that the Euro2012 is on TV or MLS matches. So I end up having to choose one or the other and it kills me. So I guess I will continue on my read as much as I can. Then take a day or two off and catch up on my TV/DVR time. I will convince the Hubby to get me a Kindle, again. The question is which one?

                                             I realize that my dilemma isn't life threatening or life altering. I'm curious to hear how people balance each one? Do you have a Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle or Kindle Fire? Which one do you prefer? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. 

1 comment:

  1. You can also use the Kindle app on your iPhone for the Kindle books...

    I think the best investment is an iPad because you can combine both your Kindle and Nook libraries on one device. It's obviously more expensive than your other choices but I think it's worth it. I have an iPad with both Kindle and Nook apps on it and it works great for me exactly because not all books are available on Nook.

    Good luck catching up with your DVR! I'm behind on mine too.

    ReplyDelete